The Met stumbled to an opening day defeat against a much fancied Wealdstone by one goal to nil.

On a very hot day the Met can consider themselves very unlucky not to have won all three points even though they were in the words of manager Jim Cooper “Not at our best today”.

The game opened with both sides looking nervous with passes going astray.

In the 12th minute Billy Crook broke free of the Wealdstone defence, he shaped to strike the ball home from 10 yards before he was brought down from behind.

Some may say that he should have stayed down and waited for the referee to point to the spot for what was a definite penalty but being an honest player, he got straight up and went for goal, by this time however defenders had then got goalside and cleared for a corner.

That was penalty appeal number one not given by the referee.

Shortly after, Richard Jolly saw his goal bound shot turned over by Met’s goalkeeper Jamie Butler. 

A great solo run from Sam Hurrell saw him beat 5 Wealdstone players before shooting wide from 8 yards.

Wealdstone’s goal came in strange circumstances; Jamie Butler poor goal kick went straight to Richard Jolly's feet who ran 25 yards before slotting home.

This proved to be Wealdstone’s 2nd and last chance of the game. Billy Crook’s goal bound effort was turned over just before penalty claim 2 came.

A ball over the top saw Sos YAO out sprint the opposition, he was scythed down inside the box, landed outside, and as a result the referees wrongly gave a free kick on the edge of the box and also failed to either book or potentially send off the defender.

The second half failed to produce the same quality as the first, but another penalty appeal for the Met was turned down when Yao again broke free.

From only seven yards from goal, his feet were taken away from him by the chasing defender and everyone was waiting for the referee to point to the spot.

They waited and waited and again incredibly no signal of a penalty from the referee was given.

Only one more chance in the second half again came for the Met, Andre Scarlett's clever run was seen by Ty Smith, he had a clear sight of goal with no one near him, but like many other of his team mates struck the ball wide.