Terrified residents of a Mitcham flat have told how they threw their pets out of windows to save them from a ground floor blaze.
Neighbours were forced to throw their dogs and cats out of an upstairs window to save them as the choking black smoke took hold this morning.
Firefighters from Mitcham and Norbury were called to Mitcham Park at about 10.30am where they tackled a fire in a ground floor flat.
Smoke damage to windows and curtains was visible from outside the property and a smouldering sofa and blankets could be seen outside the home which has been sub-divided into flats.
A police cordon remained around the property this afternoon as investigations into the blaze continue.
Amy and Lauren Macdonald live opposite the flat which was devastated by fire.
Amy said: "We got woken up by banging on the door by another tenant.
"We opened the window and threw our animals out - we have two dogs and cats.
"They didn’t know what was going on.
"I came out of the front door.
"I was scared."
Another resident who did not want to be identified said the man who lived in the burnt out flat had only moved in about two days ago.
The tenant said: "It had been refurbished recently.
"I opened my door and there was black smoke coming out.
"I had to shut the door it made me choke.
"I couldn’t see if there was a fire."
He said he went downstairs and the flat was scorched and blistered from the heat.
The flats are privately rented and the stressed-looking landlord was on the scene close to Mitcham tram stop as police officers carried out their investigation today.
Miraculously nobody was hurt.
A 40-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life.
Did you see what happened? Call the newsdesk on 020 8722 6334
- Judy Garland's daughter to play her in new show with never-before-seen clips and interviews
- Bags of bullets, flares and heroin found at Merton home of courier fraudster who conned vulnerable people
- Regeneration: Housing association reveals financial offers to nearly 1,000 people affected by regeneration
- Hospital car parking charges set to rise as part of year of "unpopular decisions" at Epsom and St Helier
- School boy raises cash for cancer with cakes