Tributes have been paid to a ‘larger than life’ dedicated fundraiser from Colliers Wood.

Chantal Campbell was a well-known face in the Merton community because of her volunteer work at the Colour House Theatre, Mencap and the Red Cross.

Friends and family have spoken fondly of Miss Campbell who was 43-years-old when she died on Sunday, February 23.

A memorial service in her honour will be held at the theatre in Merton Abbey Mills tomorrow, where she spent almost five years as a voluntary trustee.

Chantal’s mother Audrey Foster, who lives in Epsom, said her only daughter was always there for everyone, and did a lot of work with kids and young people.

Ms Foster said: "Everyone knows her.

"She has got so many friends because of what she does at the theatre.

"She got so involved in the local community.

"I just miss her so much."

Brother Crage Campbell paid tribute to his sister.

He said: "She loved me and so many others, more than I knew and more than some people realise.

"She did a lot for her friends and even when she was ailing she set out a community project to help young kids get into work."

Friend and colleague Peter Wallder, artistic director and founder of the Colour House Theatre, said everyone there is in shock but they are determined to celebrate her life.

Mr Wallder said: "It is quite a devastating situation for us all because we didn’t see it coming.

"Chantal had the most amazing character.

"I met her before she became involved in the charity and she became a dear friend.

"It is because of her wonderful, bubbly, charming personality that endeared us to her."

Ms Foster said Miss Campbell had suffered from lung damage after inhaling smoke in a fire at her former home in New Malden in 1994 and had not fully recovered from it.

According to Ms Foster, an incense stick resting on her computer started a fire and Miss Campbell was rescued by an estate agent showing the next door house to a client after she fainted from the fumes.

She spent time in the Royal Brompton Hospital at the time for treatment.

In January this year she experienced breathing difficulties and was admitted to St George’s Hospital in Tooting several days before she passed away last month.

Miss Campbell was not married and did not have any children.