The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- Young doctor dying from skin cancer raises more than £20,000 for charity from his hospital bed
- UPDATE: Police issue description of teenager who pulled knife on 13-year-old in Ewell
- VIDEO: Film appeals to ethnic minorities to join bone marrow register in memory of Kevin Kararwa
- Video issued in hunt for "heartless" hit-and-run motorcyclist who shouted at victim's unconscious body
- Man risks his own life to try and save 'shy' dog Rocky from flat fire