The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- New electric black cabs to hit London's streets this year
- 'Cruel and outdated' or demise of 'excellent' sport? Wimbledon Stadium holds final greyhound race
- Transport for London takeover of South West Trains ruled out after franchise awarded to private firm and Hong Kong group
- Appeal for man missing from Merton for over two weeks
- New quid on the block: Round pounds on way out with new coin arriving tomorrow