The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- Monday’s weather: A cloudy morning will give way to an afternoon of sunshine across south west London and north Surrey
- Pavement plaques and information boards installed to show visitors The Wimbledon Way
- What's On: 13 reasons to go out this week in south London
- MERTON COMMUNITY AWARDS: Green-fingered volunteer loves spreading the word about nature
- As it happened: all the action from Anthony Joshua's world title fight at The O2