The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- Public meeting will give people the chance to air concerns about Rainbow Industiral Estate development in Raynes Park
- Nelson Health Centre construction reaches completion
- Fly-tipper second to be prosecuted after fence panel dump
- Author turns ‘administrative and emotional maelstrom’ of divorce into hilarious tale
- Residents and fans respond to Environment Agency report on AFC Wimbledon stadium plans