Aaron Lamont scored a goal-of-the-season contender to help K’s gain their first three points since January.

The 22-year-old midfielder struck a 35-yard drive that dipped and swerved beyond Enfield keeper Joe Wright who dived full-stretch to his left in vain. It was his second superb goal in recent weeks, having also scored a long-ranger in the Surrey Senior Cup defeat at Met Police.

“He played really well and I rate him highly. He’s getting the rewards from putting the effort in and so have the rest of the lads,” said manager Kim Harris after celebrating the 2-1 win.

Lamont returned to Kingston from Truro City in the summer after a successful season in the West Country that included playing in an FA Cup First Round tie at Charlton Athletic. Mixed displays this campaign during the team’s general struggles had led to spells on the bench and questions about his best position. But Harris maintains there is only one place for him: the middle of the pitch. “He’s a central midfielder all day long, he’s very strong for his size, passes, wins lots of tackles, scores goals, what more can you ask for? You can't score a better goal than that one.”

Taking a 1-0 lead into the half-time break was fully deserved for Kingstonian, who again looked more secure with five at the back against the play-off chasing visitors. With Lamont partnered alongside stylish AFC Wimbledon loanee Alfie Egan and fellow Womble James O’Halloran showing pace and maturity at left wing-back, this looked like a transformed side.

Strikers Mike Dixon and Delano Sam-Yorke ran the Enfield backline ragged and the latter doubled the advantage in the 50th minute, breaking on to a direct ball through the middle before deftly lobbing into the net.

That spurred Town into a concerted period of pressure. They got one back with 15 minutes remaining through Dan Rumen’s set-piece header and it took two fine saves from Rob Tolfrey to prevent a late equaliser.

When the final whistle blew, K’s had ended their worst run of form in 40 years and all but guaranteed Isthmian Premier football for next season.

“The last 25 minutes we were so anxious,” added Harris. “It takes a lot of your energy way. The boys at the back did everything they could and we held out.”

K’s, who have climbed to 15th position, play Haringey Borough away next Saturday.