Substitute Lewis Macleod was the hero when he nodded home an injury time equaliser as 10-man Brentford salvaged a point away to West Bromwich Albion.

It looked certain the Bees would lose their fourth game in a row when Harvey Barnes broke the deadlock after the hosts missed several glorious chances.

Despite a late Emiliano Marcondes injury forcing the Bees to play the rest of the game with 10, Macleod’s heroics ensured they didn’t come away from the Hawthorns empty handed.

Brentford are 17th in the Championship table, level with Preston North End, while Sheffield Wednesday remain above them by a single point.

Rico Henry was handed his first start in more than year following a serious knee injury, with Marcondes also making his starting bow since singing in the summer.

West Brom were the first to show their teeth.

It took just two minutes for them to come close when Barnes left Henrik Dalsgaard for dead before Jay Rodriguez could only turn his whipped cross over the bar.

But the first half’s best chance arrived when Rodriguez and Hal Robson-Kanu both failed to get enough on Matt Phillips’ superb delivery which glided yards from goal.

After the winger’s long-range drive forced Brentford goalkeeper Dan Bentley into action, he would come close again when he thundered Brentford’s crossbar from 25 yards out.

Brentford had somehow survived a 45-minute onslaught, and other than an earlier Ollie Watkins effort they had little to show for it.

The restart would see a much-improved version of Frank’s men, though Henry’s long-awaited return was cut short through injury as he was replaced with Moses Odubajo.

It was after 77 minutes that their resistance would be broken when, despite a Chris Mepham block denied him the first time round, Barnes fired home past Bentley

But Ezri Konsa was left puzzled as officials failed to pick up on substitute Dwight Gayle pushing him to the ground during the sequence.

The game was still poised for another defining moment, despite the deadlock-breaker, and it would come in the 91st minute.

After Marcondes received the ball wide, the midfielder whipped a ball into the box that saw Macleod ghost past his markers and nod home the equaliser.

Brentford’s summer signing was later stretchered off through injury, Frank’s third and final change after bringing off Josh McEachran for Macleod, but the Bees came away with something despite the numerical disadvantage.