Sources have claimed that the Land Rover driver who crashed and killed two eight-year-old girls at a school in Wimbledon may have had a seizure at the wheel. 

Selena Lau died at the scene of the crash at Study Preparatory School on Thursday (July 6) while Nuria Sajjad was pronounced dead in hospital three days later. 

A 46-year-old woman has been bailed pending inquiries after she was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. 

A source told The Sun that she was in a delirious condition and had bitten through her tongue after having a seizure at the wheel. 

They said: “She’d stopped outside the school but the car took off as if the driver had suddenly floored the accelerator. 

“At this point the police believe she had some kind of seizure just before the accident.” 

The Metropolitan Police have not issued a comment on this suggestion and their investigation is ongoing. 

Wimbledon Times: Selena Lau and Nuria Sajjad, both 8, died in the crash outside Study Preparatory SchoolSelena Lau and Nuria Sajjad, both 8, died in the crash outside Study Preparatory School (Image: Met Police)

At the time of the crash an end-of-term party was taking place. A total of 16 people were injured and a woman in her 40s remains in a critical condition. 

Selena’s family released a statement which said: "Selena was an intelligent and cheeky girl adored and loved by everyone. The family wishes their privacy to be respected at this sad time". 

In a statement, Nuria’s family described her as kind, joyful and generous, and thanked the staff at St George’s Hospital, fellow parents and school staff for their support. 

Their full statement said: “It is with profound sorrow that we announce the passing of our beloved Nuria on Sunday, 9 July 2023. Nuria was the light of our lives. 

“She embodied joy, kindness and generosity and she was loved by all around her. 

“We would like to thank the efforts of the emergency services, all the extraordinary staff at St George’s Hospital, the parents of Nuria’s class fellows and staff of the Study Prep for all they have done to ease Nuria’s journey. 

“We request that our privacy is respected at this difficult time.” 

Detective Chief Superintendent Clair Kelland said: "It is difficult to imagine the pain and upset the families of those involved are going through and we will do all we can to support them as our investigation continues. 

"I know the impact of this tragic incident is also being felt in the wider community and we are working with our partners to ensure the appropriate support is in place. 

"This was the largest local policing deployment in South-West London since 2017 and our officers, along with members of the other emergency services, were met with a challenging and traumatic scene. 

"I understand many people will want answers about how this happened and there is a team of detectives working to establish the circumstances. 

“I would ask the community to avoid speculating on a possible cause whilst these enquiries are carried out."