A police officer was injured and four robbery suspects arrested in dramatic scenes on a residential road in Mitcham this morning (Tuesday, October 26).

Images and footage of the incident circulated across social media platforms on Tuesday, including a clip that appeared to show an unmarked police car crashing into an officer at the scene.

Responding to a request from the Wimbledon Times, a spokesperson for the Met Police confirmed that an officer had been hurt in a crash "involving a police car" during the incident, which occurred amid an "anti-robbery operation" in the area:

"On Tuesday, 26 October at 09:58hrs, officers from the Met’s South West Command executed an anti-robbery operation in Mitcham.

"An authorised pursuit of a vehicle was undertaken after it failed to stop for police when requested. The suspect vehicle came to a stop and the occupants fled on foot at Rowan Road, SW16.

"Following a foot chase, five males were arrested on suspicion of robbery, theft of motor vehicle and possession of an offensive weapon[s].

"In addition to weapons, stolen property was also recovered.

"Enquiries continue," the statement read.

Wimbledon Times: Image: Ria CharsleyImage: Ria Charsley

"During the operation a police officer was injured in a traffic collision involving a police vehicle. The injured officer was taken to hospital for treatment to injuries that are not life threatening.

"We are aware of video footage relating to this incident circulating on social media and ask that this footage is not shared further to avoid compromising the ongoing investigation," it continued.

Social media users expressed their shock at the incident, with many also voicing support for the officer who was injured.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson told the Wimbledon Times three people had been assessed at the scene, with one taken to hospital:

"We were called at 10:20am today (26 October) to reports of an incident on Rowan Road, Mitcham.

"We sent an ambulance crew and a paramedic in a fast response car.

"We assessed three people at the scene and took one of them to hospital."