The man shot dead by police on Sunday after a stabbing attack in Streatham has been named as a convicted terrorist who had just been released from prison and was under surveillance.

Sudesh Amman, 20, was released from jail within the last six weeks after serving half of his three year and four month sentence for terror offences, and was freed despite warnings he posed a continued risk.

Two people were stabbed in a confirmed terrorist incident in Streatham High Road on Sunday (February 2) afternoon, and three people were taken to hospital though none are in a life-threatening condition.

The attacker was under active police surveillance at the time of the attack, and Met Police said that armed officers who were part of a 'proactive counter-terrorism operation' were in "immediate attendance."

Wimbledon Times:

Amman's release from jail has prompted renewed concerns about how convicted terrorists are dealt with in the justice system.

Streatham MP Bell Ribeiro-Addy asked: "He [Amman] was under surveillance quite soon after being released which begs the question, why was he released so soon?"

Wimbledon Times:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he'll announce new plans on Monday for "fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism offences" following the Streatham attack.

He had already promised changes following the London Bridge attack in November when another recently-released terrorist, Usman Khan, stabbed two people to death while wearing a fake suicide vest at a prisoner rehabilitation event in Fishmongers' Hall.

Sam Armstrong, from the Henry Jackson Society - a foreign policy think tank - said Amman was thought to have been staying in a bail hostel in south London.

He said the society had warned in December that Amman was due for release within the next two months and should not be let out of prison.

Amman, who at the time of his sentencing was 18 years old and had an address in Harrow, north-west London, had been jailed for three years and four months.

Wimbledon Times:

Three victims were taken by ambulance to south London hospitals following the attack; one man in his 40s no longer considered to have life-threatening injuries, a woman in her 50s with non-life threatening injuries and a woman in her 20s being treated for minor injuries caused by glass caused by the discharge of a police firearm.

Wimbledon Times:

Jonathan Bartley, co-leader of the Green Party and councillor for the St Leonard's ward on Lambeth Council, told the PA news agency: "There's absolute shock and disbelief from residents that are around. There was an immediate sense of panic and fear when it happened."

He added: "The emergency services seemed to have reacted incredibly quickly, I mean so quickly that you wonder whether they had some advance warning about this because they were here in such great numbers so quickly."

Wimbledon Times:

In the Met's latest statement, DAC Lucy D'Orsi confirmed that armed police officers who were following the suspect on foot shot a male suspect dead at the scene.

"The suspect had been recently released from prison where he had been serving a sentence for Islamist-related terrorism offences.

"We are confident that this is an isolated incident that has been contained. Officers from our Counter Terrorism Command are investigating at pace. We are also liaising and co-operating with the Independent Office of Police Conduct as they conduct their necessary inquiries.

"The suspect has not yet been formally identified however, given the circumstance of the incident, we are confident that he was Sudesh Amman, aged 20.

"Streatham High Road remains closed at this time, and cordons are in place. We will reopen these as soon as we can."

She added: "We would like to thank the numerous members of the public who assisted officers and ambulance staff this afternoon following what was a very difficult incident. I am also extremely proud of the bravery of our armed officers."