London Fire Brigade (LFB) issued a warning for residents after suggesting an unattended candle caused a recent flat fire in Mitcham.

The fire burned part of a second story flat at a house conversion on Grenfell Road in Mitcham in the early hours of December 29.

Fire crews from Tooting, Mitcham and Wimbledon fire stations attended the scene.

LFB said that one man was taken to hospital after firefighters found him on a staircase inside the property.

"He was suffering from smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews," a spokesperson said.

They also offered a stark warning about the dangers of leaving candles unattended after alluding to that as a likely cause of the fire.

"Candles are one of the most common causes of fire.

"It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire," LFB said.

LFB issued several key tips for staying safe with candles after pointing out they were a common cause of domestic fires.

  • Keep candles/tea lights away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire. Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit.
  • Always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candle holder
  • Make sure the candle holder holds the candle/tea light firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.