A woman and two children had to be taken to hospital after their Mitcham flat exploded.

Firefighters were called to Church Road just before 8pm last night.

It is believed the explosion was caused after an air freshener can was accidentally left on the kitchen hob which was switched on.

London Fire Brigade’s Watch Manager, Anton Keach said: “Leaving an aerosol can next to your kitchen hob can be deadly.

“The force of the blast shook the building and badly damaged the walls, floor and shattered glass inside the flat leaving it uninhabitable.

"Aerosol cans contain compressed gas and if heated can explode causing devastation.

"We’d also advise to never leave aerosol cans next to candles or on window sills in direct sunlight.

"A woman and two children were treated on scene by London Ambulance Service and were taken to hospital for precautionary checks.”

Fire crews from Mitcham and Wimbledon stations were at the scene and the incident was over at 10.11pm.