The reason why a Mitcham house caught on fire over the weekend has been narrowed down.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to the blaze in Edgehill Road late on Saturday night.

Half of a first floor bedroom was damaged as a result.

The occupants of the home were alerted to the fire when they heard a smoke alarm sounding.

Three people left the property before the arrival of the LFB. There were no reports of any injuries.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “This incident shows just how important it is to have working smoke alarms.

“Smoke alarms give the earliest possible warning when a fire starts Make sure smoke alarms are fitted in rooms where a fire can start except kitchens or bathrooms where heat alarms are more appropriate.”

The LFB was called at 9.57pm and the fire was under control 30 minutes later.

The cause of the blaze is believed to be accidental and due to textiles and paperwork being stored too close to an electric heater.