A family has "lost everything" after a gas leak caused their Raynes Park house to explode.

Linda Collins and her son John had gone out 15 minutes before the place they called home in the Haynt Walk went up in flames Friday night.

The London Fire Brigade confirmed it was a gas explosion and that "the front of the house was blown out by the blaze."

As a result the family have been left with nothing but the clothes on their back.

To make matters worse, on the way to the hospital to be treated for shock, Linda suffered "complications" and had to undergo surgery, although she is reportedly doing ok.

But in an act of kindness, a GoFundMe page was set up to try and help them get back on their feet.

In the first day alone it has raised more than £800.

When John's brother Stuart heard this, he was overjoyed.

RELATED: Evacuation after house explosion in Merton Park

"John as you can imagine is all over the place at the moment and thankfully Linda came out of surgery yesterday (October 21) ok," he told the Wimbledon Guardian.

"I did not know there was a GoFundMe page started.

"Whoever started that is an angel as they need all the help they can get at the moment as they have absolutely nothing left."

The home, which was built 35 years ago is now lost, but those behind the page are hoping that every little bit helps.

"Over the past number of years, life hasn’t been all that easy for them and their family," the page read.

"The pair battling through illness’ themselves and losing a loving husband/father.

"On Friday they came home to find their own sanctuary ablaze due to a gas explosion.

"As a community let’s all come together and help them out in their hour of need."

The cause of the explosion is believed to have been an uncapped gas pipe venting into the kitchen. 

To view the donation page, click here.