The Crossrail 2 public consultation has now finished, but the debate is far from over. Here’s what some groups and politicians have said so far.

Merton Council released a seven page, cross-party statement condemning the proposals last night, just in time for a large protest meeting.

The Wimbledon Guardian has set up a petition to save our town centre. To view it and sign, visit change.org.

The cross-party statement, signed by members from all parties in Merton, called on Network Rail and Transport for London to rethink the proposals, citing concerns with the impact on businesses, potential loss of residential property, an increase in traffic and a lack of detail on many important issues.

It says: “The proposals as set out in the latest consultation represent an unacceptable level of upheaval and disruption to our business community and one where we cannot think of any current UK, European or global comparisons for where so much of a major town centre is lost to make way for new infrastructure.

October 30 2015: Parts of Wimbledon town centre including Centre Court Shopping Centre could be demolished to make way for Crossrail 2

“We understand that the consultation scheme is an early concept design, however the current plans place Wimbledon town centre in a uniquely vulnerable position.

“If the plans remain as they are, we would be forced to reconsider our support for the project.

“At such an early stage, it is clear that the proposals have such significant and unparalleled consequence for the economic sustainability of Merton, notably in Wimbledon town centre.”

To view the statement in full, click here.

Member of Parliament for Wimbledon, and former transport minister, Stephen Hammond has also spoken out strongly against the proposals, describing them as a “death knell” for the town centre.

In an online statement, he wrote the plans to create four platforms at Wimbledon and three turnarounds in Dundonald will have significant impact on noise, traffic and pollution in the area, along with creating “seven to ten years of upheaval.”

Former transport minister Stephen Hammond MP has spoken against the proposals

He added: “Moreover, the current phasing plans are likely to lead to an effective “shutting down” of Wimbledon for up to seven years, from which I doubt it would recover.

January 7: Stephen Hammond MP warns Crossrail 2 will be death knell for Wimbledon as Labour's Brenda Grant accuse Tories of hijacking opposition

“Therefore instead of a regeneration project it would be a death knell.

“The current proposals are not acceptable nor are they in the interests of Wimbledon and therefore I cannot support them and urge Crossrail to bring forward new proposals.”

To view his statement in full, click here.

However, Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: "Crossrail 2 will be a vital new transport link that will significantly improve capacity on the rail network into and out of London. It will also provide a major boost for jobs, new homes and economic growth here in the Capital and far beyond.

"Crossrail 2 is a major infrastructure project and so it's vital that we get it right from the start. This consultation is key to helping us to fine tune the proposals and to ensure that everyone with a view on Crossrail 2 can have their say and is listened to.

"We know that there's massive support for Crossrail 2 and there is real excitement and momentum behind our efforts to get it delivered."

November 23 2015: Crossrail 2 update: Centre Court Shopping Centre, homes and Wimbledon Bridge House offices may be demolished over 11 years

Cabinet member for regeneration and environmental sustainability, Andrew Judge, said: “The consultation proposals as they stand represent an unacceptable level of upheaval and disruption to our business community.

“We have made it clear to Crossrail that if the plans remain as they are, we would be forced to reconsider our support for the project.

“We are committed to our local businesses and the welfare of our residents and will stand by their interests."

Coun Judge speaks at a protest meeting on Thursday, January 8

The Love Wimbledon Business Improvement District, representing 430 businesses and over 15,000 employees, also expressed concern with the plans.

A formal response from BID manager Helen Clark Bell said: “Love Wimbledon BID support Crossrail 2 coming to Wimbledon but it must not be delivered at the expense of the economic well-being of the town.

“Wimbledon town centre must retain its vibrancy and congenial environment, and stay well and truly open and accessible during construction.

“Disruption must be minimised so that it continues to remain an attractive opinion for employees, residents and visitors.”

To read their statement in full, click here.

The Wandle Valley Forum has also released a statement regarding the proposed major work site in Weir Road, which they argue lies within the Wandle Valley Regional Park and along the course of the River Wandle.

Around 450 residents turned up to a protest meeting on Thursday, January 8

They write: “We hope this is an unfortunate drafting error because it would be a very provocative proposal to sacrifice this land for the Crossrail 2 work site.

“Overwhelming evidence would need to be provided to demonstrate that this small fraction of the proposed area of the work site was essential for its viability and that the benefits outweighed the very considerable negative impacts.

“We have seen no evidence to justify this loss.”

January 6: Crossrail 2 protest meeting called as public consultation on controversial plans draws to a close

Michele Dix, Transport for London’s managing director of Crossrail 2, said: "Crossrail 2 will provide a UK-wide economic boost supporting hundreds of thousands of new homes and jobs. It is also vital to meet the demands of London's rapidly growing population.

"This consultation gives people the chance to comment on where we are proposing to put station entrances, work sites and ventilation shafts needed to run Crossrail 2.

"As development of this vital railway continues, we will be taking on board feedback from the consultation to progress the designs for the project, so that we can open the railway by 2030."

The Wimbledon Guardian has started a petition to SAVE OUR TOWN CENTRE. Click here to sign it, and let us know why.