Brentford slumped to a 3-1 defeat to Yeovil Town in their first home game of the new season at Griffin Park on Tuesday night.

After falling behind in the first half, the Bees drew level in the second before a double substitution – and missed penalty by Paul Hayes – effectively changed the game, as manager Uwe Rosler acknowledged afterwards: “I have to take responsibility for the substitution. It was too adventurous, too early on in the game. I should have realised that certain players needed a little protection on the pitch. But I wanted to win the game. Paul told me he has scored many penalties in his career. I was very confident he would score.”

Yeovil threatened early when Keanu Marsh-Brown rounded Simon Moore inside the box, before hitting the side-netting.

The Bees created a couple of chances in quick succession, when first Marek Stech turned Adam Forshaw’s shot from the edge of the box behind for a corner, and a minute later the ball fell to Farid El Alagui, whose shot was blocked for another corner.

However, the Glovers took the lead midway through the half after Tony Craig attempted to play the ball across his own box, but only succeeded in finding Sam Foley, who squared the ball for James Hayter to fire into the bottom left hand corner.

Clayton Donaldson had a couple of chances to equalise before the break, firing over the bar from the left side of the box before shooting from the opposite side of the box just wide of the left hand post.

Ten minutes into the second half Donaldson drew the Bees level, placing a cultured finish from a Toumani Diagouraga pass in off the post.

Forshaw looked dangerous again, with his shot after a surging run deflected for a corner, from which Leon Legge headed over from six yards.

The game-changing moment came shortly after when Brentford were awarded a penalty for handball and with his first touch debutant substitute Paul Hayes saw his spot-kick saved by Stech.

Yeovil capitalised on this let off ten minutes before the end when they sliced through the Bees’ defence and Hayter added his second with a shot into the bottom right hand corner.

Brentford’s night went from bad to worse when Lewis Young got the better of Scott Barron and his cross from the right was deflected into his own net by the unfortunate Craig.

Brentford: Moore, Logan, Craig, Legge, Barron; Douglas, Diagouraga (sub Forrester 68), Saunders (sub Hayes 67), Forshaw; El Alagui, Donaldson

Subs (not used): Lee, O’Connor, Dallas, Fredericks, Redwood

Attendance: 5269

Man of the Match: Adam Forshaw

Goals: Donaldson 55