Merton Council traffic warden breaks two rules trying to catch out drivers in Mitcham

Traffic warden breaks rules to catch out drivers

Not only was the traffic warden parking on double yellow lines...

...they were also parked in a yellow box junction

First published in Parking Madness by

A traffic warden was spotted trying to catch out illegal driving while committing two traffic offences themselves.

The resident who took the picture in Langdale Avenue, Mitcham, last month, said Merton Council had “double standards” when it came to parking.

The resident, who did not want to be named, said: “You’ve got a traffic warden parked on double yellow lines and in a box junction at the same time – two offences at once.

“They’re allowed to take photos of us breaking their rules so let’s take pictures of them doing the very same thing and see what the council does about it.”

It is illegal to park on double yellow lines at any time unless a sign says you can temporarily load or unload goods.

Motorists also risk a fine if they drive into a box junction unless there is a clear exit route.

In May, Merton Council took on new powers to deal with moving traffic offences, and has expanded its mobile CCTV van fleet to five vehicles.

The civil enforcement officers (CEOs) inside the vans are able to capture evidence of illegal parking as well as cars wrongly driving in bus lanes and box junctions.

Related links

A Merton Council spokeswoman said: “CEOs are permitted by law to park where necessary to safely carry out their enforcement duties, and that includes yellow lines and box junctions. 

“However, we give our CEOs clear guidelines as to where they can and cannot park.

“Box junctions are one of the places where we do not want them to park and we have reminded all of our CEOs about this.”


Got a story for us? Call 020 8722 6333, tweet @WimbledonNews or email: newsdesk@wimbledonguardian.co.uk.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:00pm Thu 19 Jul 12

Tobermory says...

Anyone can 'park' in a box junction, the offence is stopping due to stationary vehicles, parking in one is not an offence. The so called 'box junction' in the photo isn't even on a junction which does make you wonder why the Council painted it in the first place.
Anyone can 'park' in a box junction, the offence is stopping due to stationary vehicles, parking in one is not an offence. The so called 'box junction' in the photo isn't even on a junction which does make you wonder why the Council painted it in the first place. Tobermory
  • Score: 0

2:28pm Thu 19 Jul 12

GR-London says...

Something has gone catastrophically wrong in this country, we have given too much power to people that cannot be trusted.

We are going down the banana route, every day in every way this country goes further down the pan.

Thanks to all the politicians.
Something has gone catastrophically wrong in this country, we have given too much power to people that cannot be trusted. We are going down the banana route, every day in every way this country goes further down the pan. Thanks to all the politicians. GR-London
  • Score: 0

11:19pm Fri 20 Jul 12

Tobermory says...

GR-London wrote:
Something has gone catastrophically wrong in this country, we have given too much power to people that cannot be trusted.

We are going down the banana route, every day in every way this country goes further down the pan.

Thanks to all the politicians.
Exactly! Newspapers can print any old rubbish and get away with it. printing a story about a council van parked legally is hardly newsworthy is it?
[quote][p][bold]GR-London[/bold] wrote: Something has gone catastrophically wrong in this country, we have given too much power to people that cannot be trusted. We are going down the banana route, every day in every way this country goes further down the pan. Thanks to all the politicians.[/p][/quote]Exactly! Newspapers can print any old rubbish and get away with it. printing a story about a council van parked legally is hardly newsworthy is it? Tobermory
  • Score: 0

11:19am Sat 21 Jul 12

GR-London says...

Tobermory - I don't know if that was supposed to be humor?

My point is about the authorities who break the law to extort money out of the citizens, who they are meant to serve - quite immoral.

That is VERY news worthy, although this now seems to be the way in the 'Banana' UK.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.
Tobermory - I don't know if that was supposed to be humor? My point is about the authorities who break the law to extort money out of the citizens, who they are meant to serve - quite immoral. That is VERY news worthy, although this now seems to be the way in the 'Banana' UK. Sorry if my post wasn't clear. GR-London
  • Score: 0

10:43pm Sun 22 Jul 12

Tobermory says...

GR-London wrote:
Tobermory - I don't know if that was supposed to be humor?

My point is about the authorities who break the law to extort money out of the citizens, who they are meant to serve - quite immoral.

That is VERY news worthy, although this now seems to be the way in the 'Banana' UK.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.
Your point is however invalid since no law has been broken, Council vehicles are exempt by law if carrying out statutary duties.
[quote][p][bold]GR-London[/bold] wrote: Tobermory - I don't know if that was supposed to be humor? My point is about the authorities who break the law to extort money out of the citizens, who they are meant to serve - quite immoral. That is VERY news worthy, although this now seems to be the way in the 'Banana' UK. Sorry if my post wasn't clear.[/p][/quote]Your point is however invalid since no law has been broken, Council vehicles are exempt by law if carrying out statutary duties. Tobermory
  • Score: 0

10:13pm Wed 25 Jul 12

GR-London says...

Tobermory wrote:
GR-London wrote:
Tobermory - I don't know if that was supposed to be humor?

My point is about the authorities who break the law to extort money out of the citizens, who they are meant to serve - quite immoral.

That is VERY news worthy, although this now seems to be the way in the 'Banana' UK.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.
Your point is however invalid since no law has been broken, Council vehicles are exempt by law if carrying out statutary duties.
If my point is invalid, then so must the Yellow Box-Junction and the Double Yellow Lines also be invalid.

They are there for a reason - or they are not, the council cannot have it both ways.
It is this hypocrisy and lack of moral judgement that makes people entirely lose faith in authority.
[quote][p][bold]Tobermory[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GR-London[/bold] wrote: Tobermory - I don't know if that was supposed to be humor? My point is about the authorities who break the law to extort money out of the citizens, who they are meant to serve - quite immoral. That is VERY news worthy, although this now seems to be the way in the 'Banana' UK. Sorry if my post wasn't clear.[/p][/quote]Your point is however invalid since no law has been broken, Council vehicles are exempt by law if carrying out statutary duties.[/p][/quote]If my point is invalid, then so must the Yellow Box-Junction and the Double Yellow Lines also be invalid. They are there for a reason - or they are not, the council cannot have it both ways. It is this hypocrisy and lack of moral judgement that makes people entirely lose faith in authority. GR-London
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree