Dog left reeling after swallowing fish hook

Dog left reeling after swallowing fish hook

Reggie was rushed to hospital after the fish hook was trapped in his stomach

Reggie was rushed to hospital after the fish hook was trapped in his stomach

Reggie was rushed to hospital after the fish hook was trapped in his stomach

Reggie was rushed to hospital after the fish hook was trapped in his stomach

First published in News by , Chief Reporter

A Jack Russell Terrier bit off more than he could chew during a recent fishing trip after swallowing a fish hook.

Three-year-old Reggie was rushed to the Blue Cross Animal Hospital in Colliers Wood for emergency surgery after swallowing his owners bait, hook, weight and line.

The fishing line was still hanging from his mouth when he arrived for surgery.

Emmeline Macedo, deputy nurse manager at the hospital, said: "The fish hook and weight were clearly visible in his stomach and he needed an emergency operation as it could have caused too much damage.

"Reggie was prepared for surgery and one of our veterinary surgeons removed the hook and weight through a surgical incision.

"He was later taken to our Victoria animal hospital for observation and pain relief overnight, but was able to go home the next day as he was bright and eating well."

On returning to the Blue Cross Merton animal hospital for a follow up appointment one week later, Reggie was back to his normal self.

Ms Macedo added: "His owner was very grateful and happy that we were able to help Reggie."


Got a story for us? Call 020 8722 6333, tweet @WimbledonNews or email: newsdesk@wimbledonguardian.co.uk.


Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree