Chessington dog saved by Wimbledon surgery after swallowing 90 pebbles
A labrador who “got a bit carried away” had to undergo surgery after swallowing 90 pebbles during a trip to the beach.
Barney, the three-year-old chocolate-coloured dog, started vomiting the stones he ate at the seaside on Monday, September 3, and was taken to a Wimbledon-based animal hospital.
Her owner, Kim Woollard of Almshouse Lane, Chessington, said: “Barney has been to the beach several times before and loves it.
“He’s never done anything like this and it wasn’t obvious while we were playing that he was eating so many pebbles.
“Once we got home he just wasn’t himself and was clearly very uncomfortable.
“I couldn’t believe it when I saw the X-ray and what was inside him.
“I’m so relieved that he’s now recuperating safely at home and will be keeping a close eye on him next time we go to the beach.”
After an X-ray revealed the huge number of pebbles the dog had swallowed at Sheerness beach, Kent, Barney was taken to the Stone Lion Veterinary Hospital in Wimbledon Village’s High Street.
Roger Bralow, a vet at Stone Lion, said: “While it’s normal for dogs on the beach to scavenge and, in so doing, swallow a few pebbles, the sheer volume he consumed is unusual and had the potential to cause him serious internal injuries.
“Fortunately, Mrs Woollard acted swiftly in getting Barney to us quickly and he’s now making a good recovery.
“Our advice to owners is to monitor their dogs carefully while they’re on the beach but not to stop them from having fun because that’s what it’s all about.
“It seems that Barney just got a bit carried away.”
What's the weirdest thing your pet has eaten? Leave a comment below or contact the news desk on 020 8722 6333 (Merton) or 020 8744 4262 (Kingston).
Comments are closed on this article.