Mitcham and Morden’s MP Siobhain McDonagh sues News International after phone stolen
Mitcham and Morden’s MP has taken legal action against The Sun newspaper's publishers for an alleged invasion of her privacy after her mobile phone was stolen.
Siobhain McDonagh lodged the claim with the High Court on Thursday, September 6, which seeks damages from the tabloid newspaper’s parent company, News International, for breach of privacy and breach of confidence.
It comes two months after a Sun journalist was arrested and bailed by officers from the Metropolitan Police’s Operation Tuleta, which is investigating computer hacking and other forms of privacy invasions.
The 35-year-old was arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods in July in relation to a reported phone call from a member of the public who said they had an MP’s mobile phone.
Ms McDonagh’s legal claim also tries to prevent News International "from obtaining or using confidential information from the claimant's mobile phone and, or, publishing, or causing to be published or processing of confidential information by individuals in the Sun newspaper or elsewhere", according to legal documents.
Her solicitor Mark Thomson said: "We can confirm that proceedings have last week been issued in respect of my client's stolen mobile phone, but we can make no further statement on this matter."
The legal action comes two weeks after the former head lawyer at News International was arrested when police arrived at his Wimbledon home.
Tom Crone, who lives in The Drive, West Wimbledon, was bailed after being arrested on suspicion of unlawfully conspiring to intercept communications – the 25th arrest made by Scotland Yard’s Operation Weeting inquiry into phone hacking.