A one year old girl died after she fell unconscious and stopped breathing at a nursery in Wimbledon.

The 22-month old fell ill at the Dicky Birds nursery, Dundonald Road, Wimbledon, about 9.40am on August 23. She was taken by ambulance to St George’s in a serious condition but later died.

Police refused to say what the cause of death was, but said they were not investigating the incident.

Rachel Berry, owner of Dicky Birds Nurseries, said: "Staff at the nursery acted immediately and called an ambulance while administering CPR.

"The child was taken to hospital in a critical condition.

"We were all devastated to learn that the child later died in hospital.

"We are co-operating fully with the police and Ofsted to facilitate a thorough investigation. "The cause of death has not yet been confirmed to us, so we cannot comment further at this stage.”

A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed a post mortem examination was conducted at St George's Hospital mortuary but refused to give any further details.

The matter has been referred to regulator Ofsted - which has suspended the nursery’s registration pending an investigation.

Ms Berry said: "It is standard procedure in this situation for the individual nursery’s Ofsted registration to be temporarily suspended.

"We are working closely with Ofsted to have the suspension lifted as quickly as possible.

"Our thoughts are with the parents and family of the child, who have asked for complete anonymity at this incredibly painful time."

An Ofsted spokesman said: "Ofsted is aware of the tragic death of a child at Dicky Birds nursery in Wimbledon and we are working closely with the nursery and other agencies to support their investigations.

"The nursery’s registration has been suspended while the circumstances are investigated and it would be inappropriate to make any further comment at this stage."

A Merton Council spokesman said: "Out of respect for the wishes of the family we can only confirm that a child has died following an incident at a Wimbledon nursery. The event is being investigated by the appropriate agencies. Our thoughts are with the family at this very difficult time"

An inquest into the death is expected to be held in due course.