A mother strangled during a boating holiday in the Norfolk Broads worked as a nurse at a hospice in Clapham.

Annette Creegan, from Mitchan, was formally identified by officers today after her body was found in the River Bure on Sunday.

Police believe the 49-year-old was dead before entering the water. A post mortem examination revealed she died from strangulation.

Her partner, John Didier, died as the result of drowning. His death is not thought to be suspicious.

Police are looking at the possibility that Mr Didier, who was originally from Arkansas in the US and worked for the NHS, killed Mrs Creegan before taking his own life several days later.

The bodies of the couple, who lived together in Beechholme Avenue, were found near each other in water near the boat on Sunday, which was moored in a secluded spot on the River Bure, near Wroxham.

A statement from Trinity hospice, where Mrs Creegan is understood to have worked as a palliative care nurse, said: “Annette Creegan worked at Trinity Hospice for over 13 years and was a truly wonderful and well-respected member of our home care nursing team.

"She was devoted to improving the lives of her patients and ensuring they could remain at home if they wished.

"Annette has made a difference to so many people and will be sorely missed by all who knew her.

"Everyone at Trinity is devastated by this tragedy, and our thoughts are with Annette’s daughter and her family at this sad time.”

Police launched a search for the bodies after finding the victim's 13-year-old daughter alone on a boat after a hire company alerted police that the vessel had not been returned.

It is thought she may have been unaware that either adult was dead when she was found on board by police on Saturday.

At the Beechholme Avenue home this afternoon, police teams took away a computer and other material in brown envelopes.

Neighbour Julian Jones said: “She was quiet. She lived with her daughter, by themselves, for the last 10 years. I have lived here for 15 years. She's known in the area.

The 21-year-old also spoke about John Didier, saying: “He had only recently moved in the last few months. I spoke to him for the first time a few months ago.

“It's crazy, you wouldn't have thought it round here.”

Maz Jones, 25, another resident of Beechholme Avenue said: "You just wouldn't expect it. We have been asking the police and they have not been saying anything.I think other residents will react in the same way. Year's ago we used to have new years eve parties and she would be there with her kid."

Another neighbour, who had known Annette for many years, said: “She was a lovely lady and she was absolutely devoted to her daughter. She idolized her. I have known her for a long time.

“I have lived here about 15 years. Annette moved in just after me. Our daughters are the same age.

“We just thought there had been a burglary or something. She worked but I don't know what she did. I have known her a long time and the kids played together.”

Another neighbour said mother and daughter lived in Tooting before moving to Mitcham. 

Do you know more? Contact the newsdesk on 020 8722 6333 or email newsdesk@wimbledonguardian.co.uk