Firefighters were called to a shed ablaze last night after a garden bonfire got out of control.

Wimbledon Fire Station sent two fire engines to Tennyson Avenue in West Barnes at about 7.30pm to reports of a fire in a private garden.

Dry leaves under a steel rubbish-burning brazier had caught on fire, spreading the flames around the garden and setting fire to the wooden shed.

A fire officer said the homeowner had been unaware of the dangers of burning rubbish close to dry leaves.

Firefighters extinguished the fire within 40 minutes.

No-one was injured.