At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- Child hit by motorcyclist at pedestrian crossing
- Police investigate football match assault
- You may spot a world-famous author scribbling in a local cafe
- Busy post office to close for refurbishment
- Neighbours and students of under-threat adult education incandescent after rumours of council cuts