At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- Vulnerable missing man found safe and well
- Riders take to the saddle in fancy dress to raise tens of thousands of pounds for charity
- Police search for dementia sufferer missing from care home
- Calls for Putney and Wimbledon commons tax refund after boundaries based on 1915 map
- Best bloomin' gardens in the borough named by Merton Council