At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- TRAVEL: Signalling problem causing major delays to trains between Kingston and London Waterloo
- Thousands of children at schools across south London breathing dangerous toxic air
- Three south London teenagers arrested on suspicion of planning to join ISIS charged with terror offences
- Transport Secretary Chris Grayling warns Londoners to think twice about buying diesel cars
- Update: Man dies after collapsing at gym in Wimbledon - Nuffield Health Centre to remain 'temporarily closed'