At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- Woman died after allegedly jumping in front of train last night
- Landlord will not appeal rejected flat bid for much-loved coffee shop
- Merton Art Society celebrates 50th anniversary with exhibition
- Visitors take a sneak peak into historic cricket pavilion as iconic buildings open around London
- Man dies after being hit by train