At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- WATCH: Can you spot the crime? Video shows devious bank machine scam sweeping UK
- Sadiq Khan fights to let Merton Council make final decision on AFC Wimbledon stadium in Plough Lane
- Govia Thameslink rail workers to ballot for industrial action over ticket office closure dispute
- Police chase suspect from Morden through St Helier to find him carrying cannabis
- British Transport Police warn London's young people about dangers of rail trespass amid summer spike