At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- Polish burglars admit beating victim black and blue
- VIDEO: Hidden toilet cam doctor filmed himself by mistake - jailed for five years today
- A 1950s shot gun, a rifle and a revolver were among the firearms surrendered in Merton
- Merton Council calls on borough's top cop to send more police officers to areas hit by most serious crime
- Three petitions with more than 2,000 signatures have been collected as people worry about future of adult education