At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- Funeral of dedicated former councillor to be held tomorrow
- What do you think of AFC Wimbledon's stadium plans? We took to the streets to find out
- Family to face first Christmas without caring mother who took her own life
- Man, 31, accused of racial abuse at Wimbledon Library in court
- Children's author unveils new school library to excited pupils