At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- Two car crash causes traffic tailbacks
- School to build £10m music complex designed by Olympic Velodrome architects
- Dog bites and 4am starts all part of the job for milkman retiring after 39 years
- NHS agrees mental health ward closures and £160m investment from land sales
- UPDATE: Armed police descend on Mitcham