At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- PICTURES: Curious antiquities and art by 18th century masters on display in historic home
- Tree measuring 25ft found alight in Morden Hall Park
- "Being recognised in Wimbledon streets is very strange" says MasterChef semi-finalist
- Things to do around Wimbledon this weekend (April 24 to April 24)
- Instrument repairs and 3D printing among new facilities for £4million college expansion