At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- Mentally ill man guilty of strangling Mormon grandmother to death after she homed him to avoid bedroom tax
- Housing association leaseholder facing £6,000 repairs bill
- Disabled people challenge councillors 'playing football with our lives' to soccer match
- South Thames College student stabbed in Morden Park
- Young doctor dying from skin cancer raises more than £20,000 for charity from his hospital bed