Wimbledon's Morris Men welcome May
At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- Iranian TV firm set to takeover studio where The Bill was produced
- CLEARED: Accident at West Barnes Lane level crossing closes Burlington Road
- Fraudster gang jailed after 'inside man' at Royal Marsden cancer hospital helped them run £642k scam
- Man charged with murder of Southfields grandmother found strangled
- Touched by an Angel: New pastor welcomed by church community
Comments are closed on this article.