At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- NHS strikes suspended after pay proposal from government
- Volunteer police cadets applauded by London top cops at awards ceremony
- New site for health centre identified after consultation
- Merchant bank leaving Tolworth Tower to become Merton's biggest private employer
- Beekeeping couple in bid to raise funds for own hives