At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- Calls for council leader who ‘damaged confidence’ in Merton Council to resign
- Tooting woman jailed on terror charge
- A man has been found dead on Mitcham Common
- New database to 'name and shame' dodgy landlords
- Pervert who 'touched himself' on tube jailed