At sunrise on May Day morning Green Sleeves Morris Men performed their traditional dance in Wimbledon.
On Thursday, May 1, to mark the start of the summer Morris dancing season, the group performed at the Wimbledon Windmill attended by the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Krystal Miller.
Chris Benson, leader of the troupe, said the dance is a part of “English traditional culture.”
He added: “The first surviving records of Morris dancing in London date from 1448. There has been Morris dancing in this area for hundreds of years.”
More dances are to be performed in Wimbledon on Saturday, May 3 and throughout the summer months.
- Speeding laws are changing - and the punishments are about to get tougher
- South West services delayed by up to an hour after person hit by train
- Toxic air warnings issued across south London as pollution levels hit 'red alert' once again
- Morden couple 'didn't stand a chance' in Tunisia terror attack, inquest hears
- Commuters suffer further travel misery due to train strike and broken rail