At 68, a Labour councillor has run his first marathon.
Peter Walker, councillor for Figges Marsh ward, finished the 26.4 mile race in 6 hours 27 minutes, putting him in 22,047th place.
Within his age group this translates as a remarkable position of 231st place.
The conference events company owner was able to raise an impressive £2,790 for Mencap.
The first £1,750 of the total sum raised by Coun Walker’s efforts will go to the Mencap’s national base; and the rest will be donated directly to Merton Mencap.
He said: "I am delighted that I managed to finish the course, although I had to walk the last bit. The day was fantastic and in particular the support you get from spectators."
To donate, visit justgiving.com/Peter-Walker13
- Four people, including police officer, killed as pedestrians are mowed down in Westminster terror attack
- Westminster terror attack as it happened: Four people dead after car hits pedestrians, police officer stabbed and attacker shot
- Prime Minister condemns ‘sick and depraved’ terrorist attack
- IN PICTURES: Terror at Houses of Parliament as knifeman kills police officer and mows down pedestrians
- Plane hit by lightning after leaving Gatwick Airport