At 68, a Labour councillor has run his first marathon.
Peter Walker, councillor for Figges Marsh ward, finished the 26.4 mile race in 6 hours 27 minutes, putting him in 22,047th place.
Within his age group this translates as a remarkable position of 231st place.
The conference events company owner was able to raise an impressive £2,790 for Mencap.
The first £1,750 of the total sum raised by Coun Walker’s efforts will go to the Mencap’s national base; and the rest will be donated directly to Merton Mencap.
He said: "I am delighted that I managed to finish the course, although I had to walk the last bit. The day was fantastic and in particular the support you get from spectators."
To donate, visit justgiving.com/Peter-Walker13
- 'Red alert' issued and millions warned to stay at home as London is hit by toxic air from Germany
- Southern dispute: Strike to go ahead
- Trial of Raynes Park man delayed after sawn-off rifle and £4,000 worth of cannabis found on Northampton train
- WATCH: Man punches customer and throws chair at his head in pub fight
- Car tax is changing in April: Here's what you need to know