Merton Councillor Peter Walker, 68, finishes the London Marathon
At 68, a Labour councillor has run his first marathon.
Peter Walker, councillor for Figges Marsh ward, finished the 26.4 mile race in 6 hours 27 minutes, putting him in 22,047th place.
Within his age group this translates as a remarkable position of 231st place.
The conference events company owner was able to raise an impressive £2,790 for Mencap.
The first £1,750 of the total sum raised by Coun Walker’s efforts will go to the Mencap’s national base; and the rest will be donated directly to Merton Mencap.
He said: "I am delighted that I managed to finish the course, although I had to walk the last bit. The day was fantastic and in particular the support you get from spectators."
To donate, visit justgiving.com/Peter-Walker13
- GCSE results day: Ursuline High School records 'best ever' results
- Will the first ever Y:Cube block be built in Merton this Autumn?
- Elderly woman hospitalised after alleged thief flees department store
- GCSE results day: Staff and students at Wimbledon College celebrate results
- GCSE results day: Rutlish School announces 'improved' results
Comments are closed on this article.