At 68, a Labour councillor has run his first marathon.
Peter Walker, councillor for Figges Marsh ward, finished the 26.4 mile race in 6 hours 27 minutes, putting him in 22,047th place.
Within his age group this translates as a remarkable position of 231st place.
The conference events company owner was able to raise an impressive £2,790 for Mencap.
The first £1,750 of the total sum raised by Coun Walker’s efforts will go to the Mencap’s national base; and the rest will be donated directly to Merton Mencap.
He said: "I am delighted that I managed to finish the course, although I had to walk the last bit. The day was fantastic and in particular the support you get from spectators."
To donate, visit justgiving.com/Peter-Walker13
- After depression awareness week, what are the top 10 signs you need to watch out for?
- Tube track rescue: Firefighters lift man to safety in underground drama
- PICTURES: Curious antiquities and art by 18th century masters on display in historic home
- Tree measuring 25ft found alight in Morden Hall Park
- "Being recognised in Wimbledon streets is very strange" says MasterChef semi-finalist