At 68, a Labour councillor has run his first marathon.
Peter Walker, councillor for Figges Marsh ward, finished the 26.4 mile race in 6 hours 27 minutes, putting him in 22,047th place.
Within his age group this translates as a remarkable position of 231st place.
The conference events company owner was able to raise an impressive £2,790 for Mencap.
The first £1,750 of the total sum raised by Coun Walker’s efforts will go to the Mencap’s national base; and the rest will be donated directly to Merton Mencap.
He said: "I am delighted that I managed to finish the course, although I had to walk the last bit. The day was fantastic and in particular the support you get from spectators."
To donate, visit justgiving.com/Peter-Walker13
- Monday’s weather: A cloudy morning will give way to an afternoon of sunshine across south west London and north Surrey
- Pavement plaques and information boards installed to show visitors The Wimbledon Way
- What's On: 13 reasons to go out this week in south London
- MERTON COMMUNITY AWARDS: Green-fingered volunteer loves spreading the word about nature
- As it happened: all the action from Anthony Joshua's world title fight at The O2