At 68, a Labour councillor has run his first marathon.
Peter Walker, councillor for Figges Marsh ward, finished the 26.4 mile race in 6 hours 27 minutes, putting him in 22,047th place.
Within his age group this translates as a remarkable position of 231st place.
The conference events company owner was able to raise an impressive £2,790 for Mencap.
The first £1,750 of the total sum raised by Coun Walker’s efforts will go to the Mencap’s national base; and the rest will be donated directly to Merton Mencap.
He said: "I am delighted that I managed to finish the course, although I had to walk the last bit. The day was fantastic and in particular the support you get from spectators."
To donate, visit justgiving.com/Peter-Walker13
- Video issued in hunt for "heartless" hit-and-run motorcyclist who shouted at victim's unconscious body
- Man risks his own life to try and save 'shy' dog Rocky from flat fire
- Plot adjacent to Mitcham Common auctioned off to land speculator
- Caribbean feast in Merton Abbey Mills raised cash for charity
- 'Scrutinise council decision to commission adult education' say opposition