Merton Councillor Peter Walker, 68, finishes the London Marathon
At 68, a Labour councillor has run his first marathon.
Peter Walker, councillor for Figges Marsh ward, finished the 26.4 mile race in 6 hours 27 minutes, putting him in 22,047th place.
Within his age group this translates as a remarkable position of 231st place.
The conference events company owner was able to raise an impressive £2,790 for Mencap.
The first £1,750 of the total sum raised by Coun Walker’s efforts will go to the Mencap’s national base; and the rest will be donated directly to Merton Mencap.
He said: "I am delighted that I managed to finish the course, although I had to walk the last bit. The day was fantastic and in particular the support you get from spectators."
To donate, visit justgiving.com/Peter-Walker13
- Updated: Young man freed from under car after leg trapped in second collision in Kingston Road, Raynes Park
- Brave employee nominated by colleagues leads athletes at Sainsbury's Anniversary Games in London
- The Specials who kept calm and carried on regardless
- Police called to Wimbledon Village after reports of burglary - no suspect found
- Epsom and St Helier hospitals referred to Health Secretary over financial concerns
Comments are closed on this article.