At 68, a Labour councillor has run his first marathon.
Peter Walker, councillor for Figges Marsh ward, finished the 26.4 mile race in 6 hours 27 minutes, putting him in 22,047th place.
Within his age group this translates as a remarkable position of 231st place.
The conference events company owner was able to raise an impressive £2,790 for Mencap.
The first £1,750 of the total sum raised by Coun Walker’s efforts will go to the Mencap’s national base; and the rest will be donated directly to Merton Mencap.
He said: "I am delighted that I managed to finish the course, although I had to walk the last bit. The day was fantastic and in particular the support you get from spectators."
To donate, visit justgiving.com/Peter-Walker13
- Controversial charity wins right to open secondary school in Merton
- Multi-vehicle crash closes two lanes on A3 Surrey-bound at Tolworth
- Delicious cheesecake crowned winner at Harvest Festival
- Teenager stabbed five times on Croydon tram by knifeman
- Sewage stench means disabled man unable to eat in his own home