A teenager running as a Tory councillor in the upcoming elections is encouraging other young people to vote.
Hamna Qureshi, 18, gave a speech to fellow A-Level students on the importance of voting on Friday, March 14, at St Mark's Church of England Academy in Mitcham.
Miss Qureshi, who moved to London from Pakistan two years ago, said young people can be lazy but are an important part of the community and should use their power to vote if they are unhappy with the status quo.
She will be running in Longthornton ward, Mitcham, at the local elections on May 22.
Miles Windsor, Tory councillor for Cannon Hill and Barbara Mansfield, former Merton councillor, also addressed pupils at the event.
- Children discover first touch of spring on nature walk
- Harry Potter, princesses and pirates turn out for World Book Day in Merton
- "Did you save my life?" - Biker injured in crash searches for man and doctor who saved him
- Make the most of the sunshine at Piazza market this weekend
- Volunteers sleep rough to put spotlight on Merton homelessness