A teenager running as a Tory councillor in the upcoming elections is encouraging other young people to vote.
Hamna Qureshi, 18, gave a speech to fellow A-Level students on the importance of voting on Friday, March 14, at St Mark's Church of England Academy in Mitcham.
Miss Qureshi, who moved to London from Pakistan two years ago, said young people can be lazy but are an important part of the community and should use their power to vote if they are unhappy with the status quo.
She will be running in Longthornton ward, Mitcham, at the local elections on May 22.
Miles Windsor, Tory councillor for Cannon Hill and Barbara Mansfield, former Merton councillor, also addressed pupils at the event.
- Christmas spirit has well and truly arrived at the Wimbledon Guild
- Volunteers dig deep to paint fences and plant flowers in the community
- Dig around in the Wandle: Treasure hunt events coming up
- Interview with Tiff Stevenson: the stand-up comedian talks feminism, the Kardashians and inspiration ahead of her Wimbledon show
- New chair of governors at school where headteacher and former chair left suddenly speaks out