A teenager running as a Tory councillor in the upcoming elections is encouraging other young people to vote.
Hamna Qureshi, 18, gave a speech to fellow A-Level students on the importance of voting on Friday, March 14, at St Mark's Church of England Academy in Mitcham.
Miss Qureshi, who moved to London from Pakistan two years ago, said young people can be lazy but are an important part of the community and should use their power to vote if they are unhappy with the status quo.
She will be running in Longthornton ward, Mitcham, at the local elections on May 22.
Miles Windsor, Tory councillor for Cannon Hill and Barbara Mansfield, former Merton councillor, also addressed pupils at the event.
- Live music, food and hay bales entertain festival-goers at Beer by the River event
- Train faults lead to disruption to rush hour commuters on First Capital Connect services
- Top detective given rare award for bringing violent professional criminal to justice
- Wimbledon Guardian thanked by police chief after burglary CCTV appeal success
- AFC Wimbledon fans involved in 'dispute' on train home from match