A teenager running as a Tory councillor in the upcoming elections is encouraging other young people to vote.
Hamna Qureshi, 18, gave a speech to fellow A-Level students on the importance of voting on Friday, March 14, at St Mark's Church of England Academy in Mitcham.
Miss Qureshi, who moved to London from Pakistan two years ago, said young people can be lazy but are an important part of the community and should use their power to vote if they are unhappy with the status quo.
She will be running in Longthornton ward, Mitcham, at the local elections on May 22.
Miles Windsor, Tory councillor for Cannon Hill and Barbara Mansfield, former Merton councillor, also addressed pupils at the event.
- Hollywood A-lister flown in to Merton Park by helicopter to film his latest movie
- Police appeal to find Merton teenager missing for nearly two weeks
- ‘I just kept cracking up’: Thor star Chris Hemsworth tells us about filming Ghostbusters
- Fears that blue light services are 'unprepared' as half of emergency workers commute from outside London
- Absolutely Fabulous the Movie review: ‘the magic is still there’