A teenager running as a Tory councillor in the upcoming elections is encouraging other young people to vote.
Hamna Qureshi, 18, gave a speech to fellow A-Level students on the importance of voting on Friday, March 14, at St Mark's Church of England Academy in Mitcham.
Miss Qureshi, who moved to London from Pakistan two years ago, said young people can be lazy but are an important part of the community and should use their power to vote if they are unhappy with the status quo.
She will be running in Longthornton ward, Mitcham, at the local elections on May 22.
Miles Windsor, Tory councillor for Cannon Hill and Barbara Mansfield, former Merton councillor, also addressed pupils at the event.
- What's On: 17 reasons to go out this week in south London
- Tram services added to TfL tube map for first time
- Plan your tactics: Firms and staff urged to be flexible during Euro 2016
- Appeal for missing Wandsworth woman who may be in Merton
- Cross-continent art exhibition funds books for rural Zimbabwean primary school