A teenager running as a Tory councillor in the upcoming elections is encouraging other young people to vote.
Hamna Qureshi, 18, gave a speech to fellow A-Level students on the importance of voting on Friday, March 14, at St Mark's Church of England Academy in Mitcham.
Miss Qureshi, who moved to London from Pakistan two years ago, said young people can be lazy but are an important part of the community and should use their power to vote if they are unhappy with the status quo.
She will be running in Longthornton ward, Mitcham, at the local elections on May 22.
Miles Windsor, Tory councillor for Cannon Hill and Barbara Mansfield, former Merton councillor, also addressed pupils at the event.
- Teenager halfway towards volunteering trip fundraising target
- Friends say goodbye to inspirational woman who led the way in local politics
- Two car crash causes traffic tailbacks
- School to build £10m music complex designed by Olympic Velodrome architects
- Dog bites and 4am starts all part of the job for milkman retiring after 39 years