A teenager running as a Tory councillor in the upcoming elections is encouraging other young people to vote.
Hamna Qureshi, 18, gave a speech to fellow A-Level students on the importance of voting on Friday, March 14, at St Mark's Church of England Academy in Mitcham.
Miss Qureshi, who moved to London from Pakistan two years ago, said young people can be lazy but are an important part of the community and should use their power to vote if they are unhappy with the status quo.
She will be running in Longthornton ward, Mitcham, at the local elections on May 22.
Miles Windsor, Tory councillor for Cannon Hill and Barbara Mansfield, former Merton councillor, also addressed pupils at the event.
- Police search River Wandle for guns after cars stopped by armed police
- ‘It’s OAP’s 11’ – The Hatton Garden Job's director and producer tell us what to expect from the film
- This is how to beat the deadly effect of sitting at a desk all day - and, no, it's not the gym
- Lloyds Bank to close 200 branches and cut 3,000 jobs after Brexit fallout
- Weather: A sunny start with rain to follow