A teenager running as a Tory councillor in the upcoming elections is encouraging other young people to vote.
Hamna Qureshi, 18, gave a speech to fellow A-Level students on the importance of voting on Friday, March 14, at St Mark's Church of England Academy in Mitcham.
Miss Qureshi, who moved to London from Pakistan two years ago, said young people can be lazy but are an important part of the community and should use their power to vote if they are unhappy with the status quo.
She will be running in Longthornton ward, Mitcham, at the local elections on May 22.
Miles Windsor, Tory councillor for Cannon Hill and Barbara Mansfield, former Merton councillor, also addressed pupils at the event.
- Man found dead on Mitcham Common 'turned to alcohol over post-traumatic stress'
- Residents gather to express over-development concerns on Rainbow Estate plans
- Young dancers gear up for first stage of national competition
- Polish burglars were 'high on drink and drugs' before violent Wimbledon burglary
- UPDATE: Met Office issue snow and ice warning across Greater London and Surrey