A teenager running as a Tory councillor in the upcoming elections is encouraging other young people to vote.
Hamna Qureshi, 18, gave a speech to fellow A-Level students on the importance of voting on Friday, March 14, at St Mark's Church of England Academy in Mitcham.
Miss Qureshi, who moved to London from Pakistan two years ago, said young people can be lazy but are an important part of the community and should use their power to vote if they are unhappy with the status quo.
She will be running in Longthornton ward, Mitcham, at the local elections on May 22.
Miles Windsor, Tory councillor for Cannon Hill and Barbara Mansfield, former Merton councillor, also addressed pupils at the event.
- Stabbing: Teenager hospitalised and two men arrested after "large machete fight"
- Shock hailstones in Merton last night leave residents baffled
- 'Grave concerns' for boy missing with mother for a year as High Court judge issues appeal
- Save Cyril the Fox: Rescue centre claim "friendly" animal may be shot by storage company this afternoon
- Britain's Got Talent: Wayne Woodward makes it through to Saturday's final