A teenager running as a Tory councillor in the upcoming elections is encouraging other young people to vote.
Hamna Qureshi, 18, gave a speech to fellow A-Level students on the importance of voting on Friday, March 14, at St Mark's Church of England Academy in Mitcham.
Miss Qureshi, who moved to London from Pakistan two years ago, said young people can be lazy but are an important part of the community and should use their power to vote if they are unhappy with the status quo.
She will be running in Longthornton ward, Mitcham, at the local elections on May 22.
Miles Windsor, Tory councillor for Cannon Hill and Barbara Mansfield, former Merton councillor, also addressed pupils at the event.
- Family business Gerrys of Wimbledon to become furniture store Neptune this summer
- Schoolboy aims to beat his £700 cake sale record to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Jeremy Hunt offers pause on junior doctors contract imposition
- Man trespasses on train tracks at Wimbledon Station to 'retrieve a lost ball'
- UPDATED: Vauxhall fire continues to cause travel chaos across south London