Large tree in South Park Gardens crashes down and blocks Trinity Road in Wimbledon
Heavy winds overnight uprooted a tree which fell into a residential road and on to a woman's car.
The large tree fell from South Park Gardens in Trinity Road, Wimbledon, at about 2.30am today.
A resident, who did not want to be named, said he was awoken by a large thundering noise and called the police immediately.
He said: "We've had concerns about that tree for some time because it clearly had quite narrow roots."
The tree was removed by 10.30am. Picture: Councillor Krystal Miller (Trinity ward)
The blue car the tree fell on is understood to be owned by a woman who lives opposite the park in Trinity Road.
It comes after a week of heavy rainfall across south-west London and Surrey, accompanied by gale force winds last night of up to 70mph.
The tree blocked Trinity Road at the junction with Dudley Road
Have trees come down in your area? How has the adverse weather affected you? Call the newsdesk on 020 8722 6392 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Merton election candidate and Ukip posterboy suspended after racist tweets emerge
- Tania Clarence charged with murdering her three children at their home in New Malden
- Firefighters to go on strike again over pensions dispute
- Praise from on high for St George's Healthcare NHS Trust
- Men accused of tampering with Wimbledon cash machine
Comments are closed on this article.