The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- Incomplete Oyster journeys cost commuters £53 million last year: Where does your station rank?
- No show: Man charged with stabbing woman in the leg in Mitcham fails to appear in court
- Missing Mitcham girl found safe and well
- Don't name streets after people in case they are paedophiles, councils told
- Pub chain will be first to tell drinkers how many calories they are consuming