The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- AFC Wimbledon confident there are enough parking spaces around proposed Plough Lane stadium
- 'Massive bill' for Thames Water and another nightmare for south London commuters as leaks continue to pour into rail tunnel
- Charity drops plans for new free secondary school in Merton
- Campaigners call on Merton Council leader to reject proposed cuts to adult social care
- Transformation begins for tower voted London's ugliest building