The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- 'It made me angry': Mitcham woman's frustration as grandparents' graves are left overgrown in Lambeth cemetery
- Comedy's finest are heading to south west London for Balham Comedy Festival
- AFC Wimbledon fan raises £32,000 for Prostate Cancer UK after incurable diagnosis
- Bell End and Brown Willy named UK's rudest place names - but does anywhere here make the top 10?
- Hoody-wearing gunman who followed shopper home may have been involved in 'car jacking'