The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- Merton Civic Awards: Wimbledon BookFest director recognised for making a success of festival
- Two brothers charged with stealing from elderly and frail people across Merton, Croydon and Sussex back in court
- Six storey library facelift to go ahead
- Merton Civic Awards: Kind and caring pharmacy worker recognised for helpfulness
- VIDEO: Merton Heritage Discovery Day showcases the borough's historic assets