The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- Children among dead as death toll rises after Manchester bombing
- Police called to Wimbledon Broadway after 'concerns for the safety of a man'
- More armed officers to be deployed at London events, including FA Cup final and Twickenham rugby final
- Demolition starts as Cricketers pub developers strike fifth time lucky
- Stephen Alambritis misconduct investigation costs Merton council £8,000