The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- No prison release for man who helped cover up after his cousin was the victim of an 'honour' killing
- London Victoria services delayed due to earlier broken down train
- Volunteer army "fighting the good fight" against Merton litter louts
- Disappearance of "very intelligent" Ewell family man completely out of character, says friend
- Poll results: Our readers back Scotland No vote