The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- EU Referendum 2016: As Britain votes to leave, how did your borough vote in south west London and north Surrey?
- David Cameron to RESIGN as Britain votes to leave European Union
- Merton police officer dismissed from the Met for 'discreditable conduct' after admitting voyeurism offences
- Wimbledon tennis championships: travel tips and parking changes through Wimbledon and Southfields during two week event
- Brexit: Focus must be on protecting jobs and stabilising the economy say Merton's politicians