The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- Hundreds of lives 'could be saved' by Adopt a Kiosk scheme to put defibrillators in Merton's phone boxes
- REVEALED: Arlo and Ellie are hot - but what are the other most popular baby names in 2016 so far?
- Couple found dead in Parkside named
- Matthew Kitandwe murder: fifth arrest in murder investigation after teen stabbed to death in Battersea
- Kids’ rave Diddy Rascals is coming to Balham