The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- Testing work to start on site of new £11m leisure centre
- Best happy video yet? Rugby player, bowls club members and Windmillers celebrate Wimbledon Village and Park
- Which Wimbledon restaurant has reached the final of the "Curry Oscars"?
- Primary school on winning streak with two gold awards and thousands of pounds in recycling prizes
- VIDEO: Peeping Tom doctor - believed to be London's worst ever - jailed after filming himself by mistake