The Provenance pub in Colliers Wood is closing less than a year after it opened.
Antic Pubs took over the High Street pub last May but said owner, Punch Taverns, is selling the property after asbestos, broken glass, fencing and detergents were found in the garden.
Damian McFadden, a fund manager who lives close to the pub, said: "The local community is just starting to gather a bit of steam so it is sad to see the pub closing."
Peter Lord, Colliers Wood resident and Conservative candidate for the ward, said: "I'm a bit shocked at what's happening. I think residents should have a say on it. I would absolutely support a campaign to keep our local pub."
Antic would not say when the pub was closing or how many staff will lose their jobs.
- Live: London elections 2016 - Assembly results coming in ahead of finding out who new Mayor will be
- By-election: Former council leader back in the Labour fold as Mitcham councillor
- Missing convicted sex offender wanted by police
- Traffic gridlock in Gap Road, Plough Lane and Alexandra Road in Wimbledon after emergency diversions
- Travelling to America? There's something very important you need to know