Firefighters were called to reports of smoke and found a fire in Pollards Hill this morning.
Two fire engines arrived at a block of flats in Montgomery Close at about 1.10am and crews wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the corridor to get rid of the smoke.
They found a pile of rubbish on fire outside the building and took about a minute to put it out.
- WEATHER: Sunny weather to brighten up the Monday morning blues
- What's On: 13 reasons to go out this week in south London
- Mitcham Common blaze: Area the size of 10 football pitches on fire
- 140-room hotel plan given the nod despite offering no car parking
- Head shave kick-starts choir fund-raising challegne