Pup stitched up by Merton Blue Cross after swallowing needle and dressmaker's press stud
A puppy bit off more than he could chew after swallowing a sewing needle.
Lizy, a seven month old Chow Chow, was rushed to the Blue Cross Hospital in Colliers Wood after her owner, Renata Wypart, realised what she had swallowed.
Ms Wypart, from Mitcham, said: "I was sewing on the sofa while Lizy was playing nearby and I just dropped the needle for one second.
"Before I knew it, Lizy had found it and eaten it.
"I tried to get it from her mouth but I was too late - she’d already swallowed it."
She added: "I thought my heart was going to explode, it was so horrible - I just love Lizy so much."
X-rays revealed the needle had made its way into her stomach along with a dressmaker’s press stud.
Emmeline Macedo, deputy nurse manager at the Blue Cross, said: "The needle and stud could do all sorts of damage to Lizy’s internal organs so she needed surgery as soon as possible.
"We removed the items and Lizy needed overnight observation and pain relief before being allowed to go home the next day."
For more information on the Blue Cross visit bluecross.org.uk.
- Support group for disadvantaged adults nominated for Merton Civic Award
- Mountain climber died after guide missed signs of altitude sickness
- Jail for Mitcham man who drove strangled woman to Birmingham following family honour killing
- Water company pledges to freeze bills for five years
- Give the greatest gift this Christmas: Help Guide Dogs UK to change lives
Comments are closed on this article.