Merton Council reverses decision on library opening hours at West Barnes and Donald Hope
Library opening hours are to be returned to normal after a council u-turn.
But now Donald Hope will re-open on Fridays between 9.30am and 7pm and volunteers, who have managed to keep West Barnes open on Mondays will now get assistance.
A recent Public Library User Survey reported a 20 percent decrease in satisfaction with opening hours at Donald Hope library.
Councillor Samantha George, Conservative opposition spokeswoman for Leisure and Culture, said: "It's taken two years of campaigning by residents and Conservative councillors but I'm relieved that Labour have finally now listened to sense.
"I would like to pay particular tribute to the two Friends groups who have worked so hard to protect these valued assets for the local community and who stepped into the breach when faced with Labour’s misguided library cuts."
- Wimbledon bus lane fines jump by 4,000 per cent in just three years
- New retirement home and care centre on Nelson Hospital site take shape
- BBC's 'Urban Birder' speaks of South London Incinerator heartbreak
- Dozens gather for carols by candlelight at Wimbledon Village Stables
- African Caribbean Leukaemia Trust urges shoppers to give the gift of life this Christmas
Comments are closed on this article.