Suspect escapes after police chase through Morden and Mitcham
A helicopter, police officers and dogs were involved in a pursuit through Mitcham this afternoon after a suspect dumped his car and made off on foot.
Police were called to the Phipps Bridge area at about 2pm this afternoon after reports of a car spotted that is wanted in relation to stolen mobile phones.
A police chase ensued through Morden Hall Park and the Phipps Bridge area, but the suspect was not found.
A spokesperson for Merton Police said: "The car had been circulated as being of interest to the police in relation to being involved with stolen mobile phones.
"The occupant of the car decamped and a lengthy search took place involving police, dogs and helicopter in Morden Hall Park into Phipps Bridge estate.
"The suspect was not located and no weapons were involved."
The police presence sparked rumours on Twitter that a stabbing had occurred which proved to be untrue.
- BBC's 'Urban Birder' speaks of South London Incinerator heartbreak
- Dozens gather for carols by candlelight at Wimbledon Village Stables
- African Caribbean Leukaemia Trust urges shoppers to give the gift of life this Christmas
- Merton's Young Advisors meet MPs
- Lawyer raises £10,000 for autism charity after Christmas carol concert
Comments are closed on this article.