Unregistered gas fitter Mussrat Ahamed installed potentially fatal boiler in Tooting
5:54pm Monday 14th January 2013 in News
An unregistered gas fitter who endangered the life of a family after illegally and unsafely installing a boiler has been fined.
Mr Mussrat Ahamed of St Helier Avenue, Morden, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after fitting a boiler in the family’s rented property on Graveney Road, Tooting, in December 2011.
The family were alerted to the potential danger after smelling gas and promptly called Southern Electric who disconnected the supply.
Mr Ahamed had left 13 defects after installing a new boiler in the family's home, including one deemed an ‘immediate danger’ to life, Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard on Friday, January 11.
Mr Ahamed, who was not registered with ‘Gas Safe’ or qualified to carry out the work, was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs after pleading guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.
Saif Deen, HSE inspector said: "Unregistered installers who carry out gas work expose people to unacceptable risks that can prove fatal.
"This family’s boiler had serious defects because Mr Ahamed lacked the appropriate skills to perform this work safely.
"He knew he wasn’t Gas Safe registered, and although he understood the legal requirement to be registered he was under the impression that the work he undertook didn’t constitute gas work because he didn’t tamper with the supply.
"This is a worrying misconception amongst some plumbers and trades people - although the Gas Safety Regulations make it clear that only authorised engineers should carry out any work involving gas fittings or servicing."