£3m to fix 'dangerous' Merton Council windows

Wimbledon Guardian: Merton's Council iron-framed windows, installed in the 1960s, have been deemed unfit for purpose Merton's Council iron-framed windows, installed in the 1960s, have been deemed unfit for purpose

A multi-million pound plan to replace all 680 windows at Merton Council’s civic centre has been revealed.

The council is set to shell out more than £3m of taxpayers’ money over three years to update its 1960s iron-framed windows after they were deemed unfit for purpose by its cabinet at a meeting on Monday.

The previous Conservative administration allocated £3m in preparation for the planned works, which will now be put out for competitive tender.

But the total cost of the three-year plan is expected to be £3.2m.

Councillor Stephen Alamfbritis said: “We want to do what’s best by our employees and the public.

“This is about health and safety of workers and of the general public.

“There was an incident in London recently where a piece of glass fell on a member of the public and we don’t want that to happen here.”

Coun Alambritis said there had been no incident which had prompted the decision, but that Merton Council was acting on the advice of a “strong” report by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) that the windows were no longer safe.

It was later clarified by a council spokeswoman the council had had no communication with the HSE and the safety assessment was conducted by GF Linsley, an independent glass and glazing consultant.

Employers are legally obligated to ensure the safety of their employees, with failure to comply a criminal offence.

Since April 2008, councils can be prosecuted under the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act, should a death occur due to their negligence.

Coun Alambritis ruled out moving to another premise and said that would be the more expensive option.

He said: “This is the town hall and it employs 3,000 staff and brings business to the town centre.

“Moving out or trying to find new premises is not the way to go in today’s austere times.

“We want the option that is value for money but provides health and safety.

“What the general public will see is scaffolding going up and the perception will be we are spending money on ourselves – we are not.”

Work on the windows is expected to start in the spring.


Got a story for us? Call 020 8722 6333, tweet @WimbledonNews or email: newsdesk@wimbledonguardian.co.uk.


Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:25am Fri 16 Nov 12

tjames says...

lets have a full review of council buildings in merton and get rid of surplus eg riverside drive, all shops, vestry hall

and then demolish crown house and start again
lets have a full review of council buildings in merton and get rid of surplus eg riverside drive, all shops, vestry hall and then demolish crown house and start again tjames
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree