Wife pays £50 for lighting up in workplace
A husband and wife caused a stink after she started smoking in their motorbike workshop in full view of investigating police and a council’s environmental health team.
The Portuguese partners, Helton Kruges and Elaine Roque, were convicted at Wimbledon Magistrates Court on Thursday, August 18, for flouting the smoking ban.
Mr Kruges was found guilty of letting his wife smoke indoors at Cometa Motorcycles, Crusoe Road, Mitcham, on May 31.
Since the introduction of the Health Act 2006, smoking is not allowed inside enclosed public spaces, such as pubs, restaurants and work places.
Andrew Bradley, from Merton Council’s environmental health team, said: “I spoke with Mr Kruges and told him I had found evidence of smoking, which was illegal in a workshop and dangerous in the presence of petroleum spirit.”
He said that, after an hour and a half in the workshop, he saw Elaine Roque sitting on the sofa smoking a cigarette.
He said: “I approached her and took a photo and spoke to her and asked for a name and address.”
Kruges, aided by a Portuguese interpreter, said: “As far as I know, I am here today because somebody was smoking. That person was my wife.
“There was no way I would have known that because I was not present at that time.
He added: “On that day my life finished. I don’t have the workshop anymore. I don’t have anything any longer.”
Mrs Roque pleaded guilty to smoking in a smoke-free premises was was given a six-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £50 costs.
Mr Kruges was found guilty and was given an eighteen-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £100 in legal costs.
Comments are closed on this article.